Round Top Loops

gps_pictalltrailscaltopomapmyhikeOn Wednesday, October 18th I had several different tasks to accomplish around the house and I also needed to leave early for an away cross country meet. I decided the solution was to take Sheila across the street to hike on Round Top. I had not been there since the week before and I like to walk the trails frequently to make sure they are in good shape. The temperature was in the low 50’s as I left the house so I wore a light jacket. Sheila was happy to go as I put her on her leash to walk across the street at about 11:30 AM. We walked through the field next to the church and then up the steep but short cemetery hill. Sheila gave me a little help as she pulled me up the hill. At the top of the hill I took a look back down to town and over to the surrounding hills hoping to find a blotch of color somewhere. There were no colorful trees and had not been for the entire fall. Some other areas in the Catskills had some color but not Livingston Manor! We turned left at the trailhead and walked into the woods on the trail. I immediately let Sheila off her leash but she stayed very close to me for the entire hike. At the first trail junction, Sheila turned right and I followed her up the more gentle ascent. Where the lower trail turned left Sheila continued straight ahead on the blue-blazed upper trail and I followed her lead. The trails were in good shape and we were soon at the summit. We continued over the summit and down the other side of the hill. At the junction with the lower trail I found a large branch across the trail. I tried to move it in several ways but it would not budge. I decided we would complete our first loop, walk back to the house to get my saw and return to eliminate this obstacle. We turned right and walked the gentle downhill to the lookout. At the viewpoint we turned left and walked down the steep trail to the first trail junction. We walked out to the trailhead and then down the hill toward the church. I put Sheila on her leash and we walked to our driveway and back to the house. I picked up my smaller Silky saw and we headed back across the street and up the hill to the top of the cemetery. This time we continued straight ahead toward the lookout and then followed the rail to the junction with the blue trail where the tree was across the path. It took me only a few minutes to cut up the blowdown and pull it off the trail. We continued on the lower trail to the next trail junction where we turned right and headed down the lower trail to the first junction. I didn’t want to keep carrying the saw so I placed it behind a tree. We turned right and started back up to the lookout where we turned right to follow the trail to the junction with the upper blue trail. We continued straight ahead on the blue trail over the summit ion the opposite direction from before. We walked won the other side to the trail junction and continued straight ahead on the yellow trail back to the first trail junction. At this point Sheila started to run out to the trailhead but I called her back as I turned around to start the final lower loop up the shallower grade. We followed the lower trail in a counterclockwise direction passing the lookout and descending back to the first trail junction. This time Sheila made a mad dash toward the trailhead and I followed her. We continued out to the trailhead and turned right. I put Sheila on her leash for the walk down the hill and back across the street to the house. It was 1:00 PM and we had spent an hour and a half hiking over 3 miles and doing a little trail work.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *